D·IRON Diagnostics in Iron Metabolism Diseases
Procedure for sending samples for hepcidin measurements (UDGAEMH)
Send the following documents by regular mail to the UDGAEMH:
- (Optional) Research informed consent should be signed by the patient or in the case of a minor (under 18 years old) a parent or legal guardian in case the patient is interested in participating in a research project.
If any documentation is missing we will contact the doctor via e-mail or telephone to obtain the necessary information. Once all documentation is adequate, a budget request will be sent to the doctor that requested the analysis. This budget must be returned signed (by mail or email) and once it is received, the UDGAEMH will contact the doctor to request for the samples.
It is important to note:
1. Sample volume to send and sending conditions:
1ml of PLASMA (heparin) or SERUM collected in the morning (7:00-9:00 am) in fasting subjects, and it should be stored in a 2ml-propylene tube
It is important to know that:
- Hepcidin has a circadian rhythm and its concentration fluctuates during the 24 hours of a day. Therefore, it is very important to collect the samples at similar hour of the day. We recommend doing it in the morning.
- Hepcidin tends to aggregate and to stick to laboratory plastic tubes. Therefore, avoid the use of plastic tubes bigger that 1 or 2ml. Use propylene tubes.
The sample should be sent FRESH(4ºC) or FROZEN in DRY ICE. Please, avoid freeze-thaw cycles. For each sample you must specify in the study request document which is the type of sample (plasma or serum) and sending condition (fresh / frozen).
2. Mode of Transport:
Send samples by fast courier (delivery maximum 1-2 days) in an appropriate container for biological samples to the address below (it is important to clearly indicate that samples go to the UDGAEMH since there are other diagnostic units at the IMPPC). The center sending the samples should cover the shipping cost of samples (we DO NOT cover transport costs).
3. Contact with the UDGAEMH BEFORE sending samples:
Before sending the samples send an email to email@example.com so that we are aware of the delivery and prepared for the reception of the samples. Please, specify in the subject of the email: “HEPCIDIN samples”.
4. Time for reception of samples:
Monday to Thursday from 9.00 to 17.00h. Please avoid sending samples on Friday because of its proximity to the weekend and to avoid possible losses.
5. Notification of Reception:
The UDGAEMH will contact the doctor to notify the arrival of the samples to our laboratory.
6. Notification of Results:
On completion, the UDGAEMH sends a report by certified mail with the results obtained, and the bill that must be paid within 60 days after the end of the study.
Price for each determination (Taxes included)
Samples should be sent to:
Advanced Genetic Diagnosis Unit for rare Iron Metabolism Disorders
Institute of Predictive and Personalized Medicine of Cancer (IMPPC)
Crta Can Ruti, Camí de les Escoles s/n.
08916 Badalona, Barcelona, Spain
Tel. (+34) 93 554 3064. Fax: (+34) 93 465 1472