Mission and Vision
Mision of the IMPPC:
The Institute of Predictive and Personalized Medicine of Cancer (IMPPC) represents a new concept for a biomedical research institute. We aim to change the current model of diagnostic and curative medicine to a new model of preemptive and tailored medicine, focusing our activities on the field of cancer research.
Historically, medicine has consisted of treating a patient after symptoms of an illness have appeared and patients with similar symptoms have been given the same treatment. The new model of predictive medicine is based on technological advances that now allow us to find global information from the human genome. It focuses on healthy individuals with a view to evaluating their susceptibility to certain diseases to ultimately generate preventive clinical practices. At the same time, medicine based on pharmacogenomic knowledge aims to generate personalized treatments that vary for each patient in function of their genetic profile.
Within this new paradigm of medicine, our mission is to identify the molecular bases that will allow prediction of how and when a cancer will develop, to predict the response to treatment, and to enable the design of personalized therapies for the individual cancer patient.
The activities of the IMPPC focus on:
- Discovery of molecular markers and tools for cancer diagnosis and prognosis
- Identification of genetic and epigenetic variants predictive of resistance/ susceptibility to cancer and response to treatment
- Becoming a reference center for cancer prediction, personalization, and eventually prevention, for the entire research community and society in general
Vision of the IMPPC:
The IMPPC aims to develop the instruments necessary to make the concepts of Predictive and Personalized Medicine a practical reality.
- Starting from knowledge of the genetic susceptibility of patients the orientation of medical practice will be changed, putting the emphasis on prediction and prevention.
- Detection of the pre-symptomatic phases of the disease will allow physicians to take preventive actions, and in the case that the diseases appears, treat it in safer and more efficient ways
- Prescription of the correct drugs with the correct dosage will be possible, tailored to the needs of each patient